Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Session 1 - Gravity

Started off my morning at 9 am with a soft boiled egg. I actually had to look up the net for the recipe!Anyways it turned out to be fine. Followed it up with a banana and 1/2 cup Gatorade.
I am so accustomed to a cup of filter coffee with full cream. But this morning I had to wake up and only smell my coffee.

Arrived at the gym at 10:30am. Started off with the fitness assessments. It seems my right leg is far more dominant in size than my left leg. Weight was as expected 65 Kgs. Was told my body fat is not bad and the idea is for me to now build muscle around it before shedding the flab. The words 'muscle' and 'fats' were all I registered in my mind then.

After the customary 10 min warm up on thread mill, I began my resistance sessions. The idea for the PT was to understand where my strengths and weaknesses lie in weights training. I was a little flattered by the phrase 'strengths'... because as far as I remember I don't think I have any.

And it showed as we tried lifting a few weights. And then he popped the magic question - 'How many push-ups can u do?' And I had a look on my face that probably gave him the impression I could not make up my mind on the final count... And then I confessed the thinkable and showed him my interpretations of push-ups. He smiled and said - 2 sets of 20 before and after you sleep. It felt like popping pills when you were young and got sick.

A few shoulder presses and pull ups and the whistles. And then the part I was desperately waiting to discuss - my diet. Well I used to big diet guy whenever I had to lose weight. I used to cut my intake of a few sinful indulgences, eat a lot of fruit, etc and the results would show. I mean I can both gain and lose weight easily. He recommended the whey protein shake and the fact that he has been having it for 10 years as a supplement and meal replacement. He asked me what flavor I liked and instantaneously I responded 'Chocolate'. As expected that was indeed the most popular flavor. He even went on to exclaim that it tasted like Milo. And I went 'sure, sure'. I had tried it before when I used to gym but never tried it with low fat peanut butter.
It gave it an extra zing to it like having your omelette's with ketchup.
So a box of protein powder and I went shopping! fortunately the cold storage is right around the corner. I passed one of favorite japanese eating joints -Miharu Ramen and Laurent Chocolate Bar. I had this whole Arnie look on my face when I told myself ' I'll be back.

The shopping list was fixed and I picked up skimmed milk, oat meal, peanut butter, wild honey, strawberries, oranges and Broccoli. I am not sure what I am going to ask Dad to do with the last item.

I decided to take the bus even though I was carrying all these bags. And my play list has this great song 'Gravity' by John Mayer. The lines 'trying to take me down' and 'twice as much is not twice as good' seemed to suddenly make more sense.

And took a nice afternoon nap.

My arms are bit sore - I actually felt the slight soreness as I tried to let Silver out of his cage.
Was contemplating going for a swim in evening but decided against. I will save that for tomorrow, weather permitting.
Oh yes, I need to pick up 'whole grain bread'. I googled it like everything else in life and a swiss bakery in Holland village might have it.

My next session is on Friday 9 am. I am looking forward to it like a child looking forward to his first day at new school.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home